Rags caused garage fire in Silverdale last week
April 28, 2011 · Updated 1:55 PM
No one was injured from a Silverdale house fire April 15 that was caused spontaneously by stain-laden rags that were disposed in a garbage can in the garage by the homeowner.
The residents were inside their house at the time of the blaze and were informed of the fire when neighbors knocked on their door and notified them.
“All that material stays in the rag, when you stuff it in a garbage can, it can take off,” said Kitsap County Fire Marshal David Lynam. “We have several fires a year from that.”
Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews arrived on scene at the house in the 9000 block of Kimberly Place NW at 12:57 p.m. Homeowner Jim Griffith, 58, and his wife were babysitting their twograndchildren in the family room and were unaware of the fire at the opposite end of the house, Griffith said. They had no ideas on what the cause of the fire was, he said.
The carport had the most significant damage, Lt. Brock Shaffer said. There was no heavy damage in the main part of the house.