News

CKFR REPORT

Dryer fire forces evacuation of

tanning salon

Several people called 911 at about 8:12 a.m. April 3 to report a tanning salon on McWilliams Road in Bremerton had smoke coming from its roof.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews arrived within four minutes of receiving the call and determined the source of the fire was a double-stacked washer-dryer unit. They quickly extinguished the flames and pulled damp towels from the dryer before removing the unit from the facility. Crews then checked the roof for hot spots and ventilated the building.

All occupants safely evacuated the tanning salon and no one was injured in the fire.

An investigation determined the non-commercial grade dryer mechanically malfunctioned as a result of overloading.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.