News

Young family displaced after fire destroys home

A home on Levin Road in Poulsbo caught fire Saturday after improperly disposed of oil-based paint rags spontaneously combusted. - Courtesy photo
A home on Levin Road in Poulsbo caught fire Saturday after improperly disposed of oil-based paint rags spontaneously combusted.
— image credit: Courtesy photo

A young family of four was displaced from their Levin Road home in Poulsbo shortly after 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 5. Neighbors spotted flames coming from the home and called 911.

Firefighters from Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue, Poulsbo Fire Department and Navy Region NW Fire and Emergency Services arrived within seven minutes and found the rear of the home completely engulfed in flames. No one was found inside the home. Crews battled the blaze with about 3,000 gallons of water for nearly 45 minutes before the fire was extinguished. The home sustained significant structural damage.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal determined the fire was caused by improperly disposed of oil-based paint rags that spontaneously combusted. The rags were wadded together and stored in a basement closet. CKFR spokeswoman Theresa MacLennan said that rags soaked in flammable solvents should be line dried outside and taken to a landfill once completely dry.

The tenants did not have rentersÂ’ insurance and lost all of their belongings in the fire. The American Red Cross is helping the displaced occupants, which includes two toddlers, find a place to stay. Poulsbo Fire Department members are setting up a fund to help the family get back on their feet. Anyone interested in contributing to an assistance fund for the family is encouraged to call Poulsbo Fire Department at (360) 779-3997.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates