News

Improperly disposed of cigarettes start house fire

Fifteen units from Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded to a fire at a home on Dolly Varden Road in the Lake Symington area just after 8:30 a.m. April 9. No one was injured in the blaze that displaced three adults.

A 911 caller said flames and smoke were coming from the back of the home. Upon arrival, crews found a single family residence with smoke pouring from the eaves. The siding near the rear deck door was burnt and charred and flames were visible from the roof vents.

Because of the lack of hydrants, firefighters used water supplied from the fire engine and fire tenders to spray water on the exterior of the home and through the roof vents to reach the fire in the attic. Firefighters also scaled the roof to create a ventilation hole to release heat and gases. Once the fire was under control on the exterior, crews attacked the attic blaze from inside the home.

The fire investigator on scene determined the fire resulted from improperly disposed of cigarettes. Firefighters remind people to properly dispose of all smoking materials in noncombustible containers such as metal cans or bowls filled with sand or water.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates