Early morning home fire causes smoke inhalation in three | Central Kitsap Fire and rescue
November 25, 2012 · Updated 1:23 PM
Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded to a home fire at 2:40 a.m., Nov. 25, on Eaton Lane in East Bremerton.
On arrival crews found heavy smoke and flame on the second floor of the house. There was a report of one person trapped on the second floor, but had jumped out of his second story window to escape shortly before fire crews arrived. The occupants were alerted to the fire by their smoke detectors.
Three occupants were transported to Harrison Hospital with smoke inhalation.
Crews extinguished the fire in about 15 minutes, and then went through the downstairs salvaging as many belongings as possible. Crews from Central Kitsap were assisted by the Bremerton Fire Department.
SMOKE ALARMS SAVE LIVES. We can’t stress this enough. Statistics show that the risk of dying is twice as high in a home without working smoke alarms. Please also refer to the following smoke alarm guidelines:
Install smoke alarms on the ceiling of every bedroom (approximately 3 feet inside the door), outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.
Test alarms monthly by pushing the test button.
Replace batteries in all smoke alarms twice a year. If an alarm “chirps”, warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
Replace all smoke alarms, including alarms that use 10-year batteries and hard-wired alarms, when they are 10 years old or sooner if they do not respond properly.
Be sure the smoke alarm has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.