News

A homeowner in the 4000 block of Tanda Avenue, off Erl

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue firefighter Steve Whitish checks for hot spots under the eaves of a home on Tanda Avenue NW in Chico that caught fire Tuesday. - Courtesy photo
Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue firefighter Steve Whitish checks for hot spots under the eaves of a home on Tanda Avenue NW in Chico that caught fire Tuesday.
— image credit: Courtesy photo

Homeowner beats back flames with a garden hose

A homeowner in the 4000 block of Tanda Avenue, off Erlands Point Road in Chico, said she was sitting in her living room around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 when she heard crackling. She looked outside and saw flames leaping up the side of her home.

The woman called 911 and grabbed the garden hose. She dragged the hose onto the back deck and knocked down the flames which had crept up the side of the house and into the eaves.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue and Navy Region NW Fire and EMS crews responded to the call in less than 6-1/2 minutes. The fire appeared to be out when firefighters arrived. Crews removed light smoke from the home before turning the scene over to the Kitsap County Fire Marshal.

Improperly disposed of smoking material caused the blaze. Nationally, smoking is the number one cause of preventable home fire deaths, according to CKFR.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.