Central Kitsap Reporter


Seabeck man charged with assault of girlfriend's 4-year-old daughter

Central Kitsap Reporter Reporter
January 31, 2013 · 10:42 AM

A Seabeck man was charged with the assault of a child after his girlfriend’s 4-year-old daughter sustained serious injuries Monday night.

Jason Reeser, 34, had been living with the family since September. His bail is set at $750,000. As of Wednesday, Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Scott Wilson said the girl was not expected to survive her injuries.

“She is still in critical condition and still on life support,” Wilson said.

Paramedics responded to a call in the Lake Symington area at 2:41 p.m. When they arrived the girl was experiencing seizure-like activity.

Reeser told responders on the way to the hospital that he found the girl lying in her crib not acting right. When they arrived at the hospital, Reeser told medics the girl was eating a pistachio cookie, suddenly stopped eating, then vomited and went into seizure activity, according to court documents.

The medical history obtained at the hospital indicated she did not have any allergies and had never experienced a seizure.

Emergency room doctor’s at Harrison Medical Center in Silverdale determined the girl had a sub-dermal hematoma and needed to be airlifted to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Tacoma.

A subdural hematoma occurs after the brain suffers a traumatic injury, leading to bleeding underneath the outer layer of the brain. It is a life-threatening injury.

Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office dispatched detectives to Mary Bridge to interview the family. According to Wilson, it is sheriff’s office policy to bring out detectives in the case of serious injury to a minor whether it is believed to be an accident or assault.

Doctors at Mary Bridge advised detectives the girl had likely suffered an acute injury in the last 24 hours, causing the hematoma.

Detectives interviewed Reeser, as well as the girl’s mother and 15-year-old brother. According to court documents, Reeser at first told detectives he was unaware of any trauma the girl might have experienced.

Later, however, Reeser told detectives he went to her room to change her diaper and pulled hard on her leg. He pulled her entirely off the bed, her head struck the floor and she stopped responding.

Reeser told detectives he had not been initially truthful because he was fearful and scared, court documents said. He was then placed under arrest for first-degree Assault of a Child.

Wilson said in the event of the girl’s death, the charges will likely change.


Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us