News

CKFR REPORT

Fire displaces Northlake Way family

Residents of a home in the 4000 block of Northlake Way in Bremerton arrived home from a late night movie at about 1 a.m. Saturday, May 17, to find smoke coming from their 1912 home. They immediately called 911. Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews and Navy Region Northwest Fire and EMS firefighters arrived to find the two-story home with smoke and windows blackened by fire.

The blaze started in the center of the main floor living room and burned for some time. The fire ate its way through the home, consumed all available oxygen and then self-extinguished. Firefighters ventilated the home and used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire had not extended into the studs, flooring or roof.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal determined the fire was caused by a burning candle. CKFR Spokeswoman Theresa MacLennan reminds people to completely extinguish unattended candles.

Other responding agencies included the Kitsap County SheriffÂ’s Office, which assisted with traffic control and Puget Sound Energy secured power to the home.

Fire crews estimate property loss to the structure at 50 percent and content loss at 100 percent. The American Red Cross is assisting the family with immediate shelter, food and clothing needs.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.