Weible to coach Shoreline

"Jeff Weible, who coached the Klahowya Secondary School football team for its first two seasons, has accepted the head coaching position at Shorewood High School north of Seattle.It looks like I'm going to be leaving the old alma matter again, said Weible, a 1989 North Kitsap High School graduate who served as an assistant football and baseball coach for the Vikings during the 1999-2000 school year.Weible played both football and baseball at North Kitsap. He was the starting catcher for the 1988 baseball team that won the state championship and went to play at the University of Washington. But North Kitsap has always called him back, Weible said.I started volunteering, and I coached there for eight years. I went to Klahowya for two years, then came back last season.Weible also helped coach baseball for three years. At Klahowya, he compiled a 1-17 record at the helm of a team playing in its first two years of interscholastic competition.The Shorewood job was too good to pass up, Weible said.You've got to take these opportunities when they come, Weible said. The program's up and coming. Last year was their first playing 4A, and they were 6-3. I was really impressed with the administration, and the financial support is outstanding.Weible added, The chance to be a head coach and teach full time, I couldn't pass that up. Just climb up from 2A to 4A - I'm doing what I want to do, preparing to come back here some day.Coming back to North Kitsap, Weible said, is definitely on his mind.My overall goal is to come back here and be involved in the community where I grew up, he said. (North Kitsap) coach (Jerry) Parrish is a great man, he's done great things with the kids. I just want to come back and do the same thing. Coach Parrish has been a big influence on my life, and he said, 'Don't have your eyes set on coming back here. You may fall in love with it over there.'Weible will commute to the school and teach physical education.He said the job dropped into his lap.They were looking for a coach, he said. They called coach Parrish and all of the sudden I was on the phone and two days later I was there for an informal interview.Weible said that after the interview he didn't think a job would come out of it.I didn't think it went well, he said. I was sick as a dog, and I told people, 'They'll never call me back.' They did and I went back there. I talked to teachers, students, to the principal. Then I took a few days to think about it. It was hard to say no.Weible already has begun his new job, subbing at the school for a week and helping with spring turnouts. In August he will begin in earnest. He is even planning how teaching PE will help with football.I get to work with the kids every day in the weight room, he said. Just making them bigger, faster and stronger. Hopefully that will help."

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates