News

Family rebuilds after house fire

"Larry Logsdon woke with a start early on the morning of Jan. 20.He heard a loud crackling outside his window, and it took him only a few moments to realize his house was on fire and he had to get out - fast. He ran into his granddaughter's bedroom and pulled Amity, 5, from her bed. They ran together to the front door, but Logsdon found it was hot to the touch. The rushed to the garage door, but found that room filled with smoke.Finally, in desperation, he took Amity out onto the balcony. He began yelling for the neighbors, but soon realized it was futile.My papa lifted me up and said he would drop me, then he did, Amity said of her escape off the 8-foot-high balcony. I ran to Cindy's house (the neighbor) and told them. Then I wanted to watch a movie.But it was too late. Larry and Char Logsdon's home behind Wildcat Lake, where the couple had lived for 12 years, was consumed by flames. Our neighbor came running up and we watched it burn, said Larry, a Puget Sound Naval Shipyard employee. Firefighters arrived at the scene, but the fire already had permeated the attic and destroyed the roof. After the fire had run its course, just two bedrooms were recognizable. Only a dresser, a few comic books and some Scooby Doo memorabilia Char had collected were salvageable. Larry said fire officials believe the fire started on the front porch, perhaps from a cigarette.Char Logsdon, a bus driver for the Central Kitsap School District, was in California for her aunt's funeral when the fire broke out. She was at a rest stop on her way home when she accidentally called home on her cellular phone. That was when she learned the news.I still had 14 hours to drive, Char said. Every time I looked out the window the tears would flow because I would remember something else special I had lost.The family is staying with neighbors while they compile a list of what is lost for the insurance company. Among the belongings destroyed were two cars, a Mazda Miata and a Nissan truck; six motorcycles, including four vintage racing cycles; and a quilt and dresser which once belonged to Char's great-grandmother.I know I didn't have a house full of expensive things, but there were things that can't be replaced, Char said.Still, she was relieved no one was hurt. Her husband is a deep sleeper, she said, and it was a stroke of luck that he woke up when he did.Neither Char nor Larry has gone back to work yet, but they plan to return early next week after they have arranged for an architect and contractor to start the rebuilding process. We're over the initial shock, Larry said. For the time being we'll find a place to rent. The main thing is getting the house put back together and replacing the stuff we lost.Amity, meanwhile, is recovering well from the shock, and from the loss of her favorite toy - a dog puppet. Family friends have given Amity some new toys to replace the ones that were lost.I got a new baby, a bear, a rabbit and a new Barbie doll, Amity said.Although the insurance will cover most of the damages, Char and Larry still are responsible for mortgage payments on a house which no longer exists. Concerned friends have established a fire fund to help them get back on their feet.The Logsdons specifically wanted to thank the firefighters who fought to save their house. "

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates