News

Apartment fire burns out family

An apartment fire Saturday, believed started by a toddler playing with matches, displaced a Silverdale woman and her child, who were out of town at the time of the blaze.

Two women, a man and the toddler were in the apartment in the 11800 block of Majestic Lane at the time of the fire. Officials said they were not sure which of the adults was housesitting for Stella Rippitoe or who the toddler’s parents were.

According to Kitsap County Fire Marshal Derrick Crawley, Kimberly Olson, Kate Wright and Gregory Cumfer heard the smoke detectors in the bedroom go off and saw smoke coming from the closet.

Cumfer attempted to douse the fire with water but heat kept him back. He then ran down from the second story apartment to get a fire extinguisher. The women and child evacuated and called 911.

Cumfer, a Marine at Naval Subase Bangor, used the extinguisher to bring the fire under control.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue officials credited Cumfer’s quick thinking with keeping damage contained within one apartment.

Eight units and 18 firefighters, including Bangor, responded to the call.

It took about two hours to extinguish the fire and clear the smoke.

The apartment, which sustained $16,000 in fire and smoke damage, is uninhabitable. CKFR assisted the woman with finding a temporary place to live.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates