Port bosses are snortin' — as usual

Never a congenial board in recent years, the Port of Tracyton just took turbulent turn to port or starboard.

Recently appointed Tracyton Port Commissioner Gary Keenan called Kitsap County sheriff’s deputies at about 3:45 p.m., Tuesday, June 17 alleging elected commissioner Walter Fitzpatrick harassed him at his business.

According to a Kitsap County Sheriff’s report, Fitzpatrick went to Keenan’s auto repair business at 4900 May St. in Tracyton to deliver port-related documents. This came after being asked not to call Keenan or come to his business.

According to the report, Keenan claims Fitzpatrick threatened him by saying “I used to be in the Airborne” and “I wish you would try to punch me.”

When contacted by deputies, Fitzpatrick, who says he graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and served as a surface warfare officer for 20 years before retiring as a lieutenant commander, said he had gone to Keenan’s business to deliver e-mails and nothing happened. When asked about the threats, Fitzpatrick said if he had done anything like that he would have told KCSO deputies.

The report was taken for information only. Deputies recommended Keenan write to Fitzpatrick that he is “trespassed” (banned) from his business.

Ironically, this most recent incident comes just as a restraining order Fitzpatrick has against a former port commissioner expires on July 1. A judge granted a restraining order against Steve Hoffman after he made threats against Fitzpatrick during a port commission meeting in June 2002.

Relatedly, a long list of claims of criminal wrongdoings by officials linked to the Port of Tracyton was given by Fitzpatrick to the Kitsap County Sheriff recently. Chief of Detectives Mike Davis did the investigation. He in turn, after concluding his report, gave the result to Kitsap County Prosecutor Russ Hauge, who claimed on June 9, that the entire file would be turned over on that day to the Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney Juelie Dalzell for review to circumvent any pretense of a conflict of interest.

As of June 18, no dossier on the case from Kitsap County had arrived at the Courthouse in Port Townsend, according to Dalzell. Hauge was not available for comment in Port Orchard to explain the reason for the delay.

(Staff Writer Tracey Cooper contributed to this report.)

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates