News

Klahowya film festival benefiting needy families

Casey Masters, a Klahowya Secondary School senior, discovered a way he could help the community and provide some Friday night fun at the same time.

Masters is coordinating a film festival featuring independent student films that includes participation from Central Kitsap High School and Olympic High School in a benefit for the Central Kitsap Food Bank. It is part of his senior project through KlahowyaÂ’s Eagle Scholar Program.

The event is open to the public and rather than having people pay to get in, Masters decided to ask for non-perishable food items as a way for people to vote for their favorite independent film.

During the festival, each school will show four or five student-created films and each film will have its own box for non-perishable food items. Each food item will count as a vote for that film. The non-perishable food items acting as votes will account for 25 percent of the vote. The remaining 75 percent will come from a panel of judges made up of one student from each school as well as two film critics. The school that has the most votes will win a trophy that will be kept at their school.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates