News

OHS staffers quench flaming fryer

One-dollar wielding students at Olympic High School were unable to get their French fries for lunch on Thursday, but it could have been a lot worse.

A quick-thinking kitchen staff averted a near-crisis at about 9 a.m. when a deep fat fryer caught fire in the school kitchen.

According to Luann Duty, who has been dubbed the fire-putter-outer, the staff was cleaning the equipment when one of the kitchen staff turned on the heating element to make sure there was nothing in the heating element.

It was at that point things got quite colorful, Duty said.

Orange and yellow flames shot from the heating element to the top of the deep fryer. Duty said the flames from the heating element were almost as tall as she, and she is 5-feet tall.

Duty instantly remembered a new kitchen tool that had been in place since this summer: A new fire extinguisher that was specifically for deep fat fryer fires. The extinguisher, called

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates