Woman survives all-night assault

A 43-year-old East Bremerton woman is alive after enduring 14 hours of assault and rape, allegedly at the hands of her ex-boyfriend.

The nightmare began shortly after 7:45 p.m. on Jan. 11, soon after the woman arrived home from work. She told Kitsap County Sheriff’s deputies that after doing some chores she sat down to watch TV in her living room. About an hour later she heard a noise coming from her bedroom, only to find her ex-boyfriend who had been hiding in the closet, waiting for her to come home.

The 49-year-old Central Kitsap man, who is believed to have dated the woman for more than a year, allegedly bound the woman with rope, tied her to the bed, repeatedly hit her with a baseball bat and sexually assaulted her numerous times.

She told deputies that throughout the night, he would scream accusations that she was cheating on him, and allegedly threatened to kill her, himself or both of them.

In the morning, she told deputies, she convinced her captor to allow her to go to the bathroom and that was when she was able to get ahold of the cordless phone and call 911. After dialing, she threw the phone underneath the bed and hoped law enforcement would respond.

At about 11 a.m. a K-9 patrol deputy went to the woman’s house and as he was about to knock on the door, the woman ran out of the house, wearing only her pajamas, screaming hysterically.

Additional patrol units from the Sheriff’s office as well as the Bremerton Police Department soon arrived at the house.

The woman was taken out of the rain to a neighbor’s house while authorities attempted to contact the suspect inside her house. He peered out the door, but wouldn’t respond, according to reports. Authorities then forced their way into the house to find the suspect lying on the bed, bleeding profusely.

He was first transported to Harrison Medical Center and then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center with apparent suicidal knife injuries, according to reports.

The woman was transported to Harrison Medical Center where she was examined, treated and later released.

As of press time on Monday, her ex-boyfriend had been released from Harborview Sunday evening and had been booked into Kitsap County Jail for first-degree rape-domestic violence and first-degree burglary with

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates