News

Smoke alarm wakes family to kitchen fire

An upstairs smoke alarm in a Tracyton Boulevard home woke a mother and her two children shortly before 2:30 a.m. June 10.

Monday night’s windstorm knocked out power to the Tracyton home while the mother was making dinner for her children. When the family went to sleep at 9 p.m., the power was still out. Power was restored in the middle of the night and the stove was still on. The noodles in the pan on the stove cooked until all the water boiled away causing the leftovers to burn. Smoke caused by the burning food and a smoldering oven mitt set off the upstairs smoke alarm, waking the mother. She removed the hot pan and burnt food from the home, called 911 and took her two children out of the house because of increasing smoke.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews responded and ventilated the duplex using positive pressure fans to exhaust the acrid smoke from the home.

The mother said she recently installed the upstairs smoke alarm.

Our Mobile Apps

Trending Stories Apr 13 - Apr 20

  • Central Kitsap Reporter

  • Western Washington

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.