Overheated laptop causes house fire

An overheated laptop that was charging on a bed is the suspected cause of a fire at Twilight Place NW.

Around 7 p.m. Thursday, Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue responded to a home where heavy fire was found coming from a front bedroom window, extending up to the attic directly above the bedroom, according to Battalion Chief Mike Tague.

Heavy smoke was found throughout the entire home, including the attic. All occupants of the home were not inside at the time, and all were accounted for, states the report.

Sixty percent of the home was damaged by the fire with $138,460 worth of damages.

A prevention message at the bottom of a CKF&R release stated, "Ensure all heat-producing devices are operated and stored on non-combustible surfaces. Portable electronic devices like laptop computers require a hard surface to operate properly by allowing the device to be cooled by an internal fan."

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates