News

CKFR REPORTS

Cooking fire displaces

family of four

Crews from Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue and Navy Region Northwest Fire and Emergency Services (Keyport) responded to a call regarding a cooking fire in the 12000 block of Cedar Street off Island Lake Parkway at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 3.

A 12-year-old girl immediately called 911 and evacuated the home at the first signs of smoke. Firefighters arrived before the fire spread beyond the kitchen.

Crews extinguished the unattended cooking fire using pressurized water extinguishers. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen and attic area immediately above the kitchen. The living room and hall areas sustained light smoke damage.

Two children and one adult were home at the time of the fire and escaped uninjured.

The American Red Cross arrived on scene to assist the family of four with lodging for the night.

Basement fire displaces Illahee family

Combustibles too close to a natural gas water heater caused an early morning fire Aug. 5. One person was transported to Harrison Medical Center for smoke inhalation as a result of the blaze.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to the fire in the 5000 block of Illahee Road at about 2:30 a.m. The resident awoke to the smell of smoke and evacuated the two-story, single family home. No one else was home at the time.

On arrival, firefighters found a large amount of smoke in the area with gray smoke billowing from the eves of the house. Crews also discovered fire in the basement and a motorcycle in the vicinity of the blaze.

Crews encountered several challenges while extinguishing the blaze including the old-style balloon frame construction and older heavy timbers used to frame the home. Crews had to remove a large amount of flooring to access the fire. Extensive overhaul revealed sheet rock installed over the chimney on the second floor which had to be removed to completely extinguish the flames.

Crews used positive pressure ventilation to remove as much smoke as possible from the residence. Damage to the basement of the home was reported as extensive with moderate smoke damage extending to the second floor and attic.

The American Red Cross is helping the family, CKFR spokeswoman Theresa MacLennan said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates