Cigarette sparks blaze at Oxford Suites

An improperly disposed of cigarette sparked a blaze and forced about 130 guests staying at Oxford Suites in Silverdale to evacuate the building Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters from Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue (CKFR) and Navy Region Northwest Fire and Emergency Services were dispatched to the fire at 2:43 p.m. Upon arrival, crews found light smoke spreading throughout the hotel with a higher accumulation of smoke concentrated around a mechanical room on the basement level.

Due to the size of the facility and amount of smoke permeating throughout the building, the blaze was upgraded to a second-alarm fire, according to CKFR.

Firefighters checked guest rooms on both sides of the mechanical room and removed ceiling tiles every few feet to search for the source of the smoke. Power was secured to the building and once the heating and air conditioning system was turned off, smoke conditions significantly improved, which indicated the smoke source was in the HVAC system. Crews focused on the exterior of the building, specifically the air intake vents, according to CKFR.

Firefighters found that beauty bark and rubbish smoldering in Oxford Suite's ventilation system was the smoke source. No one was injured Saturday and the Kitsap County Fire Marshal's Office confirmed that an improperly disposed of cigarette ignited the blaze.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates