- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
One injured in Vintage Apartments blaze Friday
One person sustained injuries during an apartment fire Friday, Aug. 22 at the Vintage Apartments in Silverdale. The facility's sprinkler system extinguished the blaze and limited smoke and fire damage to the apartment of origin.
Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews responded to the fire at 9:15 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters smelled smoke and discovered the building's sprinkler system was activated. Firefighters pulled the central fire alarm station to evacuate the residents and upgraded the call to a commercial structure fire at 9:25 p.m. Navy Region Northwest Fire and Emergency Services also responded, putting a total of 23 firefighters on scene.
Crews found the source of the smoke on the fifth floor of the 240-unit apartment complex and forced their way into the room. Firefighters made their way through thick smoke and found a person lying on the floor in the living room. The resident was transported to Harrison Medical Center for evaluation and treatment.
About 135 people evacuated the apartment complex and were outside for nearly two hours while firefighters conducted a systematic search of the facility to check for fire, water and electrical damage. Power was secured to 14 apartments directly impacted by water damage and determined uninhabitable until repairs have been made.
The American Red Cross was on scene to assist the 15 individuals displaced by the incident and all other residents returned to their apartments.
The Kitsap County Fire Marshal said a smoldering cigarette started the fire. CKFR spokeswoman Theresa MacLennan said more than 25,000 residential fires every year are attributed to careless smoking. MacLennan said people should never smoke while drowsy and always use a large, deep, noncombustible ashtray. She adds that smoking materials should be soaked in water before being tossed into a trash can.