News

Silverdale post office evacuated due to smoke

United States postal employees and customers evacuated the Silverdale post office Thursday morning when a strong smell of smoke spread throughout the mail room at the Silverdale Way facility.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue firefighters arrived shortly before 9:45 a.m. to find a light haze of smoke filling the mail room area. Crews conduced an interior and exterior search of the facility using a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots and the source of the fire.

The investigation determined that an overheated motor due to a cracked and burned-up fan belt in the heating and cooling system caused the smoke. Power was secured to the building.

Firefighters ventilated the building with large fans until the carbon monoxide levels were acceptable before turning the facility over to the post office manager at 10:30 a.m.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.