- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Chico Way home destroyed in early morning blaze
Four people, two dogs and one cat safely evacuated a three-story home on Chico Way at 4:18 a.m. today as fire engulfed a detached garage and flames and a huge plume of smoke shot into the air.
The cause of the fire was determined to be improperly disposed rags used for staining.
Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue, Bremerton Fire Department, Navy Region Northwest Fire and Emergency Services and South Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded to the two-alarm blaze.
CKFR crews arrived on scene within four-and-a-half minutes to find the two-story, detached garage completely engulfed in flames. The heat from the fire burst out the windows in the adjacent three-story residence as flames spread from the garage to the home. Crews aggressively battled the fire and had it under control at about 4:50 a.m. Firefighters remained on scene well into the morning.
Flames from the detached garage spread to the adjacent 3,000-square-foot home which sustained significant damage and is uninhabitable, according to Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue. The detached garage, two cars in the driveway and a trailer also were lost.
The American Red Cross is assisting the homeowner and tenants.
The Kitsap County Sheriff's Office and Washington State Patrol were on hand to provide traffic control. Chico Way was shut down and impacted traffic near the 7000 block of Chico until 7:15 a.m.
CKFR urges residents to avoid folding or crumpling rags used for staining due to the significant danger of spontaneous combustion. Hang stained rags out to dry completely and then dispose of in a fireproof, metal container.