Working smoke alarm alerts teen of garage fire

The garage of a two-story home in Silverdale sustained limited fire and light smoke damage Tuesday afternoon in a blaze that started when wood ashes in a plastic trash can smoldered for about 24 hours before igniting combustibles in the home's downstairs garage.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue and Navy Region NW Fire and Emergency Services crews responded to the residence located off Terrace View Drive and Provost Road at 5:15 p.m. Firefighters found one teen who safely evacuated the home with his two dogs. He said the working smoke alarms in the basement alerted him to the fire.

The teen opened the inside garage door and found the garage was completely filled with smoke and flames could be seen near the roll-up door. He shut the door, called 911, then opened the roll-up garage door and doused the flames with a nearby garden hose.

The homeowner said she cleaned out her fireplace Monday and thought the ashes were completely cooled, so she placed them in a plastic trash can. CKFR reminds people to dispose of ashes in a metal container with a lid and to let ashes cool for at least one week before dumping or dousing with water.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 14
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates