Sprinkler extinguishes dryer fire at Bremerton preschool

A dryer fire in the daylight basement of a Bremerton preschool was discovered early Wednesday afternoon and extinguished by a sprinkler before causing any major damage, according to Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue (CKFR).

CKFR firefighters responded to the Discovery Depot Montessori School in the 7300 block of Tracyton Avenue just before 1 p.m. for a commercial fire alarm activation. Crews arrived on scene and found all children and employees safely evacuated and relocated to nearby school buses.

Firefighters discovered light smoke coming from the basement, a fire in the dryer and one sprinkler head activated and dousing the flames with water, confining the blaze to the dryer. Crews used a portable fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

Smoke and fire damage to the business was contained to the dryer and surrounding area with dollar loss estimated at $18,000.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal's Office determined the cause of the fire was an overstuffed clothes dryer in which nylon-blended contents ignited. The fire marshal's office is requiring that all systems be repaired and operational before the business can be occupied.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates