- About Us
Suspicious fire destroys truck, home
No one was injured in an early morning blaze Saturday, May 30 that destroyed one vehicle and a house.
Eleven units from Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue (CKFR) and Navy Region NW Fire and EMS responded to a vehicle fire extending into a home on Fir Avenue in the Island Lake area around 6 a.m. Saturday morning. Neighbors and a person inside the house awoke to find a 2008 Dodge Ram pickup truck completely engulfed in flames. Multiple people called 911 to report flames from the truck spreading to the adjacent home.
The adult occupant of the home heard a bursting noise and saw flames outside the bedroom window. He ran outside, saw the truck completely engulfed in flames, then ran back inside to evacuate the other three people before calling 911. The residents, two adults and two children, safely evacuated the home and waited for firefighters.
Crews battled the blaze for 15 minutes before snuffing out the flames. Heavy smoke and a downed, live power line made battling the fire more difficult.
The upper level of the home was a complete loss with heavy water and smoke damage extending into the daylight basement.
Crews assisted the occupants in salvaging personal items from the basement level of the home.
The fire remains under investigation and anyone with information is asked to contact the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office.
Family of four displaced after early morning fire
Eight units from Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue (CKFR) and Bremerton Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire around 8:15 a.m. Saturday, May 30 on Vena Avenue, off Wheaton Way, in Bremerton.
Crews arrived to find an older, 1,000-square-foot single-family home engulfed in flames. Firefighters battled the blaze from the exterior, extinguishing the fire in less than five minutes with less than 400 gallons of water.
Two adults and three children safely evacuated the home and the American Red Cross is assisting the family with living accommodations and immediate needs.
The Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office determined a child inappropriately using fire sparked the early morning blaze.