News

Improperly discarded cigarette sparks sofa blaze

A working smoke alarm recently installed by Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue alerted neighbors to a fire inside a Northlake Mobile Home Park residence Sunday, June 28 and prevented the potential loss of an entire home.

Several people called 911 after hearing a smoke alarm around 1:15 p.m. in the Bremerton mobile home park. Witnesses then noticed smoke coming from the back of a home.

No one was home at the time the alarm sounded.

One neighbor ran down the street, located and alerted the homeowner who then ran inside and discovered a smoldering sofa. The homeowner and neighbor removed the sofa from the residence and waited for firefighters to arrive.

Navy Region Northwest Fire and EMS and CKFR firefighters used a fire extinguisher to snuff out the blaze. Damage was contained to the sofa.

An improperly discarded cigarette caused the fire.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Dec 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates