Unattended candle sparks Seabeck house fire

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews responded to a possible brush fire on Frender Lane in Seabeck around 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

While on their way, firefighters learned the blaze actually was a double-wide manufactured home that was completely engulfed in flames, according to CKFR.

CKFR crews used more than 6,000 gallons of water and 30 gallons of fire-suppressing foam to battle the blaze. Two units remained on scene all night to ensure the fire did not rekindle.

CKFR and Navy Region Northwest secured housing and emergency items for the family of four who lived in the house.

The family had been on vacation since Aug. 15 and neighbors offered to watch the family's dogs until they returned.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal's Office determined the fire was started by an unattended burning candle someone left inside the home.

The family is in need of size 4T girl's clothing and size 6 boy's clothing. Donations may be dropped off at CKFR headquarters at 5300 NW Newberry Hill Road in Silverdale.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates