News

Two early morning electrical fires at mobile homes reported

An electric baseboard heater is blamed for an early morning fire Friday at a vacant East Bremerton doublewide, the second electrical fire in Central Kitsap mobile homes in as many days.

Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue and Bremerton Fire Department firefighters were called to the blaze on the 2000 block of Bowen Street at about 1:45 a.m. after neighbors called 911 to report an activated smoke alarm and smoke pouring out of the residence, according to a statement from Central Kitsap Fire.

Bowen street is just outside the Bremerton city limits.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 10 minutes.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal determined the cause of the fire and estimates of damage were about $50,000.

Firefighters did not find any occupants after searching the home. Neighbors reported that a woman and child normally stay in the home, though it appeared the residents may have been in the process of moving, given the near-vacant state.

It was the second early morning electrical blaze in Central Kitsap mobile homes in as many days.

On Thursday, firefighters were called to the Kariotis Mobile Home Park at about 1:50 a.m. near NE McWilliams Road after a smoke alarm alerted a woman to an overloaded, melted power strip into which her computer was plugged.

The resident was not injured, according to a statement from Central Kitsap Fire.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates