- About Us
'Crazy' week for Central Kitsap firefighters
A woman was burned attempting to extinguish a grease fire in her kitchen Tuesday afternoon, resulting in her being taken to Harborview Medical Center.
She likely received second- or third-degree burns.
Neighbors called 911 at 12:54 p.m. after hearing fire alarms and the woman screaming "fire" from her residence. A neighbor entered the home and found the woman on the floor with flames on her.
The fire, at a two-story duplex on the 6000 block of Illahee Road, was one of at least five fires in the Central Kitsap area during the past week, but the only one that resulted in injury. The flurry of activity for Central Kitsap Fire follows a dearth of fires.
"We went for a whole month without a thing," spokeswoman Theresa MacLennan said. "It's been crazy."
Although the latest spate of fires doesn't follow a clear pattern, with the exception of three fires occurring in mobile homes, wintertime usually brings blazes sparked by heaters.
"It's the nature of the beast," said Deputy Fire Marshal Tina Turner.
Damage at Tuesday's fire was minimal, but the same cannot be said for an early Friday morning fire at an East Bremerton doublewide.
The fire, blamed on an electric baseboard heater, resulted in $50,000 in damage at the residence on the 2000 block of Bowen Street, just outside the Bremerton city limits.
Central Kitsap and Bremerton firefighters were called to the blaze at 1:45 a.m., after neighbors called 911 to report an activated smoke alarm and smoke pouring out of the residence.
-In Seabeck, a mobile home burned down on Saturday evening. The fire was reported by a neighbor who noticed an orange glow in the sky and went to investigate.
No injuries were reported. Turner said the cause of the fire is undetermined, in that she could not rule out an electrical cause. The owner of the singlewide also smoked cigarettes inside.
-Starbucks Coffee at 2238 Bucklin Hill Road NW, was evacuated Friday after an electrical cord shorted out, resulting in smoke that filled the building and damage to a commercial espresso machine.
-A small electrical fire occurred Thursday, when firefighters were called to the Kariotis Mobile Home Park at about 1:50 a.m. near NE McWilliams Road after a smoke alarm alerted a woman to an overloaded, melted power strip into which her computer was plugged.
-Staff writers Andy Jones and Lynsi Burton contributed to this report.