Woman charged with shooting husband said he 'egged her on'

A 79-year-old East Bremerton woman charged with murder told investigators she shot her husband Friday after he "egged her on," handed her a cocked pistol and pointed at his forehead.

Darlene M. Green was charged with second-degree murder Tuesday in Kitsap County Superior Court and was released on her own personal recognizance, said Deputy Prosecutor Chris Casad.

Green pleaded not guilty to the charge. A trial was scheduled for Oct. 13.

Under the conditions of her release, Darlene Green will wear an electronic monitoring bracelet and is prohibited from using alcohol, leaving her home except for doctors visits and is restricted from contact with her family except for one son, said Kitsap County Sheriff's Office spokesman Deputy Scott Wilson.

Green was found outside the house on the 5900 block of Illahee Road NE by deputies, who were called to the scene by the couple's son.

Her husband, William Green, 81, was found dead in the entryway of the house.

Although she was booked into jail for investigation of first-degree murder, Casad said the lesser charge fit the crime.

"We felt that was the appropriate charge at this time," Casad said, declining to elaborate on the reason for the downgraded charge.

Wilson said the couple had three domestic violence calls to the residence in the past five years. Of the three calls -- one in 2005 and two in 2006 -- one resulted in the arrest of Darlene Green but she was not convicted, Wilson said.

The couple had gotten in an argument Thursday night, Darlene Green told detectives in an interview, but the argument ended when she went to bed. The couple slept in separate rooms, the documents said.

The next afternoon, while sitting in the living room and watching television, "... Out of the blue, William told her he was going to go get his gun so she could shoot him, and then she knew where she would go," documents said.

She indicated to detectives he meant she would go to jail.

The man went to his bedroom and returned with the gun, cocked the hammer and handed it over. She was sitting in a recliner, watching television, documents said.

"William handed Darlene the gun and he leaned over her and pointed to his forehead and told her to go ahead and shoot him there," documents said. The woman "said she took the gun and shot him in the head."

Darlene Green said her husband "had egged her on."

Wilson said the gun was a .22-caliber Ruger revolver.

After the shooting, she said she called her son and told him what happened, then walked outside the house to wait for police, documents said.

Darlene Green had been taken from the jail to Harrison Medical Center over the weekend but was brought back to the jail to appear at an initial hearing Monday.

She had been transported in a wheelchair, Wilson said, adding that her attorney argued she be released because of her frail state.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates