Oxygen tank intentionally exploded injures two Central Kitsap-based sailors
July 26, 2010 · Updated 4:41 PM
Two sailors from Naval Base Kitsap - Bangor were flown to a Seattle hospital last week after being badly burned when they exploded an oxygen tank with the help of some gasoline.
A Kitsap County sheriff’s deputy heard the explosion at about 7:22 p.m. July 16 and drove to the house on the 1500 block of SE Sedgwick Road in South Kitsap, according to reports.
The two men, ages 22 and 28, initially said the explosion, and their injuries, were caused by a gas can.
However, the metal, military-grade oxygen tank was located approximately 130 yards away.
Deputies forwarded a report to prosecutors for review of reckless endangerment charges.