Sports

SK dims CK's playoff hopes

The Bangor Officer Spouse Association is kicking off their annual Dolphin Scholarship Auction. The auction, having a festive Hoe Down theme, will be held March 8 on Subase in the Combined Mess Open (Trident Ballroom). A total of 90 percent of the net proceeds of the auction will go directly to the Dolphin Scholarship Foundation, which provides college scholarships to children of active duty and retired submariners and submarine support personnel. The remaining 10 percent will be distributed among local charities.  This silent auction and social hour, which will feature as many as 200 items donated by local businesses, will begin at 5 p.m. The verbal auction, which features mainly high dollar items donated by area commands, will begin at 6 p.m. Heavy hors de oeuvres will be served. The Kitsap County chapter of The Old Time Fiddlers will entertain during the silent auction and members of the Kitsap County Square Dance Club will perform a demonstration dance during the verbal auction intermission. Admission to the auction is $15 per person. Advance purchase is required by Feb. 28th. No tickets will be available at the door. Due to space constraints, tickets will be available only to E-7 and above and retirees. Retirees needing base access must remit payment by Feb. 20th along with certain information required for the purpose of performing a security check. Inquiries pertaining to admission should be directed to Shelly Jeffery, Reservations Coordinator at 373-7950 or  <mailto:sajeffery@att.net> For general information, please contact Adrienne Runyan, Auction Chairman at 307-8187 or  <mailto:dsa2003@hotmail.com - Photo by Rogerick Anas
The Bangor Officer Spouse Association is kicking off their annual Dolphin Scholarship Auction. The auction, having a festive Hoe Down theme, will be held March 8 on Subase in the Combined Mess Open (Trident Ballroom). A total of 90 percent of the net proceeds of the auction will go directly to the Dolphin Scholarship Foundation, which provides college scholarships to children of active duty and retired submariners and submarine support personnel. The remaining 10 percent will be distributed among local charities. This silent auction and social hour, which will feature as many as 200 items donated by local businesses, will begin at 5 p.m. The verbal auction, which features mainly high dollar items donated by area commands, will begin at 6 p.m. Heavy hors de oeuvres will be served. The Kitsap County chapter of The Old Time Fiddlers will entertain during the silent auction and members of the Kitsap County Square Dance Club will perform a demonstration dance during the verbal auction intermission. Admission to the auction is $15 per person. Advance purchase is required by Feb. 28th. No tickets will be available at the door. Due to space constraints, tickets will be available only to E-7 and above and retirees. Retirees needing base access must remit payment by Feb. 20th along with certain information required for the purpose of performing a security check. Inquiries pertaining to admission should be directed to Shelly Jeffery, Reservations Coordinator at 373-7950 or For general information, please contact Adrienne Runyan, Auction Chairman at 307-8187 or — image credit: Photo by Rogerick Anas

South Kitsap’s boys basketball team clinched the No. 1 seed in the Bridge Division Wednesday, Feb. 12, when they overcame a late Central Kitsap lead to pull out their ninth consecutive win 52-44.

“It was nice to clinch at home on senior night,” said SK coach John Callaghan, whose team improved to 12-1 in the Narrows League (18-1 overall). “Now, no matter what, we get a first district game at home, which is a lot more fun than driving for three hours to play a game. We will be playing tough teams but at least we get home cookin’.”

CK’s loss, combined with a win by Bremerton, meant the Cougars (6-7, 8-11) needed to defeat the Knights (7-6, 11-8) Friday night in Bremerton to keep their playoff hopes alive. Results were unavailable at press time.

On a night that saluted SK’s nine seniors, it was those seniors that picked up most of the slack offensively.

With starting junior post Jake Beitinger out for the week after sinus surgery, senior Cody McCulley stepped in as a starter and banged for a team-high nine rebounds to go with his nine points.

Seniors Nate Seitz and Brian Cox led the Wolves with 12 points each, followed by Adam Bennett’s eight points.

Through three quarters, CK had a slight edge over SK behind the sharp shooting of Lukas Henne (12 points) and Marcus McKay (11 points).

With the absence of Beitinger on defense, CK post Brice Brooks hooked up for eight points, though SK’s defense put the clamps on the inside game in the second half.

The Cougars held a 36-32 lead going into the fourth quarter before SK opened the quarter on a 9-0 run to take a 41-36 lead.

SK sophomore Jamil Moore hit a big 3-pointer in the run that tied the score 36-36 and Cox came down on the next possession and drained a 3-pointer to push SK up three points.

Trailing by just two points, CK came out of its zone defense for the first time all game.

The switch appeared to confuse the CK defense, which forgot to switch on a screen where a wide-open McCulley converted a three-point play to give SK a 44-39 lead.

SK went up six points with 1:28 left until CK cut the lead in half when Henne nailed a 3-pointer with 1:05 remaining.

But SK’s defense kept CK scoreless in the final minute while the Wolves continued to hit enough free throws to put the game out of reach.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates