- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Silverdale Shoot-Out shines once again
Photos by Jordan DeDual, Jennifer DeDual and Wesley Remmer.
Rims rattled and nets swished as hundreds of ballers cut across the blacktop outside the Silverdale Beach Hotel.
Nearly 300 basketball players turned out this weekend for the hotel's third annual 3-on-3 Silverdale Shoot-Out, an event designed to raise money for local charities and nonprofit organizations.
"This is a family oriented event and it's for the entire community to enjoy," said Silverdale Beach Hotel general manager and shoot-out co-organizer Chris Koebelin, who participated in the tournament's Corporate Challenge as a member of Team Silverdale Beach Hotel.
Funds raised from the event — Koebelin said the grand total will be unveiled in the coming weeks — will be split evenly between the Paul Linder Foundation, Habitat for Humanity of Kitsap County and the West Sound Boys and Girls Club. Last year's tournament brought in $4,500 for United Way of Kitsap County, the Central Kitsap Food Bank and the Bremerton chapter of the Navy Wives Club of America.
"We decided what was the best fit for Central Kitsap and Silverdale — what would help the most," Koebelin said of choosing the beneficiaries, which change each year. "We want to look to build a platform for each year's event that makes it so the money goes to organizations where the impact can really be felt."
Seventy teams participated in the two-day hoop festival — up from 46 in 2008 and 32 in 2007 — but 10 teams were turned away because they registered too late.
Koebelin said one of the goals for next year's Shoot-Out is to convince players to register as early as possible. Teams traveled from as far as Kent and Port Angeles to participate in the tournament, which included divisions for players in fifth grade all the way up to adult men's competitive.
"We want this to become the biggest event in Kitsap," Koebelin said.
2009 Silverdale Shoot-Out champions
• Fifth/sixth grade — Vashon Pirates; Forrest Miller, Joshua Tillman, Sean Delargy and Josh Myer.
• Seventh/eighth grade — Scrubs; TV Mosley, Brenden Hegarty Callahan, Travis Parrish and Nicholas Dohoda.
• Ninth grade — Mix; Michael Lawerence, Isaiah Wesby, Shaquille Jones and Kamil Glover.
• 10th grade — Kent Ballers; Andre Harrison, Djuan Miller, Sykel Brown and Jordan Walker.
• Men's recreational — I am The Shoot Button; Jeramy Fagan, Les Foster, Nick Cassanova and Greg Symons.
• Corporate Challenge — Famous Daves; Matt Eveland, Phillip Gokimi, James Thomas and Adam Roy.
• Men's competitive — Houston Atlanta Vegas; William Perry, Phil Houston, Isaiah Thompson and Jamill Moore.
• High school boys — The Goooon Squad; Michael Gurske, Andre Coleman, Jarell Flora and Trent Gallagher.
• High school girls — Puget Sound Elite; Laura Wicklein, Emily Cook, Jessica Madison and Lindsey Wicklein.
• Kitsap Mall Slam Dunk champion — Tysiah Curry
• West Sound Orthopedic 3-point Shoot-Out champion (adult) — Dominick Jones
• West Sound Orthopedic 3-point Shoot-Out champion (youth) — not reported
• Anytime Fitness Free Throw Challenge champion — Emily Cook